What to Look for in a USB-C Hub in 2022
A USB-C hub increases the number of ports available on your laptop. Using a hub, you can easily connect other devices to your laptop, such as monitors, external hard drives or SD cards. Before you buy one, here are some things to consider.
The first thing to consider when buying a USB-C port is the port option. Although slots for USB-A cables, HDMI and Gigabit Ethernet are common, they may be missing in some options. Even when they are present, they vary in number. If you use USB-C more, you may prefer an adapter with more ports. The same applies if you want to connect another USB-A or HDMI device.
- Once you have decided the type and number of ports you want in your station, you need to look at the capabilities of each port. Starting with the USB port, you need to confirm the speed you are getting, usually measured in gigabits per second (Gbps) or megabytes/gigabytes per second (MBps/GBps). The USB-A port, for example, is not as fast as USB-C for data transfer, but it can reach 10 Gbps (1.2 Gbps) depending on the technology: USB 3.2, USB 3.1, USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 in descending order of speed.
- On the other hand, the USB-C port can transfer data at a speed of up to 40 Gbps. Most ports also have USB-C ports with pass-through capability, allowing you to plug in your charger. This can be useful if your laptop only has one Type-C port, which will be connected to the power adapter anyway. Most options support up to 100W of power, which should be more than enough for most laptops, including MacBooks and Chromebooks. However, if you have a 2021 MacBook Pro or 2022 MacBook Air, you won’t be able to benefit from 140W fast charging support. It is also worth noting that some stations increase in lower values, such as 87W.
- As laptop performance continues to grow with new and faster chips, their size is always good enough to bring portability to the fore. Fortunately, external monitors are like extending the laptop screen for a larger viewing area. If you have one, an HDMI connection is the standard way to connect your laptop screen to it. Most USB-C ports support different technologies and resolutions and refresh rates: 4K at 30Hz, 4K at 60Hz, or 8K at 30Hz. go to 60Hz if your laptop supports it.
- Finally, the Ethernet port is important when choosing a USB-C port. Most options have ports that support gigabit speeds, but actual performance will depend on the reliability of your Gigabit Ethernet service. The SD card and microSD card slots are also worth checking out if you use them a lot. Once you’ve sorted out all your preferences, it’s time to choose a USB-C port. We’ve rounded up and selected some of the best options on the market.
Best USB-C hub overall: EZQuest USB-C Hub
The EZQuest USB-C port is on the gray background
- ✓ Fast food
- ✓ Type-C data transfer port
- ✓ Support for 4K resolution
- ✗ HDMI max at 30Hz
Our top pick is the EZQuest USB-C Hub, which has a little bit of everything. For starters, it has three USB-A ports that can share 5Gbps data and a power output of up to 10W. If your laptop supports USB-C charging, there’s a port that powers up to 85W. Although it is not as fast as many other options, it will do the job. The channel also doubles as a 5Gbps data transfer port for the perfect Type-C experience.
However, not all ports on EZQuest stations are for data transfer and charging. The adapter also has an HDMI jack that supports 4K resolution at 30Hz for high-definition screen streaming.
You also get microSD and SD card slots and a Gigabit Ethernet port with an activity LED. The best USB-C port overall
EZQuest USB-C Hub
EZQuest offers a robust, comprehensive USB-C port with a full range of ports, fast power and excellent media capabilities.
Best budget USB-C hub: Anker 7-in-1 USB-C Hub
Anker 7-in-1 hub in pink circle Anchor
- ✓ Cheap
- ✓ 4K support
- ✓ High power transmission
- ✗ 4K only supports 30Hz
- ✗ No Ethernet port
You don’t have to shell out a lot of money for a USB-C cable. If you want a simple solution that won’t break the bank, Anker’s 7-in-1 USB-C Hub is a great option. It has two USB-A ports and one USB-C data port that can transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps. In addition, a separate USB-C power channel provides fast charging directly up to 85W. That should deliver a lot of power to your laptop, even if it’s slower than most of the listed options. The Anker USB-C port is also capable of 4K via the HDMI port. However, you probably won’t get the full experience even with a 4K monitor, as the adapter comes with a 30Hz refresh rate.
Best USB-C Hub for MacBook: Satechi Type-C Pro Mini Adapter
Satechi Pro hub connected to MacBook
- ✓ Excellent design
- ✓ High speed power delivery
- ✓ Support for 5K 60Hz resolution via USB-C
- ✗ No SD card reader
- ✗ No HDMI port
The Satechi Type-C Pro Mini Adapter is the perfect hub for your MacBook, thanks to its excellent port selection and flawless design. Designed for 2017-2021 MacBook Pro and 2018-2022 MacBook Air, the adapter feels right at home, flush with the devices. It uses the two USB-C ports on the left side of the MacBook to maintain a strong connection to your device. And if you have a 14-inch or 16-inch 2021 MacBook Pro, the mount will be made stronger with the adjustable folding sound jack.
Port selection of different adapters. It features a USB-C port of USB4 that offers a charging speed of up to 100W, a data transfer speed of 40Gbps, and a 5K 60Hz display output. It also has a standard USB-C port and two USB-A 3.0 ports with 5Gbps speeds. Finally, there are ports and Gigabit Ethernet ports. However, despite the variety, the slot does not have an SD / microSD slot and an HDMI port. While that’s not a problem for MacBook Pro 2021 owners, the same can’t be said for older MacBooks that don’t have those ports.
The best USB-C hub for MacBook
Satechi Type-C Pro Mini Adapter
The Satechi Pro USB-C comes with a convenient connector style that fits Apple’s latest MacBook.
Best compact USB-C hub: Anker 5-in-1 USB-C Hub
Anker 5-in-1 USB-C cable for laptops
- ✓ Small and lightweight design
- ✓ 4K (30Hz) HDMI port
- ✓ Ethernet connection
- ✗ No port
- ✗ No USB-C port
It is reasonable to want to keep your luggage small when you travel, taking only the things you think you will need. A large USB-C adapter is not convenient. Instead, a more compact option like the Anker 5-in-1 USB-C Hub comes in handy. This unit measures 4.4 x 0.9 x 0.7 inches and weighs less than two ounces. It comes with a handy pouch to protect your space on the go. Despite its small footprint, the adapter includes three USB 3.0 ports capable of transferring speeds of 5Gbps, an HDMI port that outputs at 4K 30Hz, and an Ethernet port. Unfortunately, there are no ports for charging, USB-C ports, or card readers.
The best compact USB-C cable
Anker 5-in-1 USB-C Hub
If you want a compact and lightweight station with a good port, Anker’s 5-in-1 station is the perfect choice.
Best USB-C hub for 4K: Satechi USB4 Multiport Adapter,Satechi USB4 port to connect to computer
- ✓ 8K support
- ✓ Very fast data transfer speed
- ✓ Fast port
- ✗ No USB-C port
Satechi’s feature-rich USB4 adapter is the best choice. With different ports to accommodate your most used devices, you will be spoiled for use.
Perhaps its most famous port is the 8K HDMI option that works at 30Hz, making it a pleasant media experience. Of course, your computer, cable, and monitor still need to support the technology to enjoy it. Otherwise, you will be able to take advantage of the 4K 60Hz support for a smooth viewing experience.
The Satechi adapter is more than just data transfer, with one USB-A 2.0 port for older technology and two USB-A 3.2 ports with USB4 technology for faster 40Gbps speeds on newer devices. It also has a USB-C port that can charge up to 100W. Additionally, there are SD and microSD card slots, a Gigabit Ethernet port, and a standard 3.5mm audio jack.
One downfall of the adapter is the lack of a USB-C port to transfer data. That would have been more useful to many people than the old USB-A 2.0 port.